Sunday, April 12, 2009

Finally, done cataloging my library

Ok, I finished cataloging my library - well, at least I have all of the authors written down with the books of theirs that I have and have them marked as read or yet-to-read. Only 150 books, so it's not a huge library yet (give me time, it will be). Of those 150 books, I haven't yet read 32 of them. I also have about 6 books ordered that I haven't yet received, so that will up the number I haven't yet read.
I typed up the list (only took 3 1/2 pages to list them all) so I can fold it up and carry it in my wallet. That way, when I'm looking at books, if I'm not sure I've read the book (or I'm not sure if I own the book), I can check the list. And let me tell you, that's a necessary thing for me. I've read so many books, and purchased so many books, over my lifetime, that I have a damned hard time remembering which ones I've read and which ones I own. Since this list is on my computer, I can update it every time I buy a book. Now I just need to figure out where I can put a bigger bookshelf in this house so I can have all of my books in one place instead of having some of the upstairs in a bookshelf, and some of them downstairs in 3 different areas (behind knickknacks on bookshelves).
Holy shit! I just realized that I read the whole Sookie Stackhouse series (all 8 books) in 4 days. That's what happens when I get in a reading mood, I'll go through a lot of books in a very short amount of time. That's one of the reasons I never took speed-reading in high school or college, I already read so fast that I looked for the thickest books I could find that were also interesting (and why I like books in a series so well). Well, that and the fact that in 7th grade, I was told I was reading at a college sophomore level (back in 1966/67, yeah, I'm ancient...lol).
I've read the collected works of Edgar Allen Poe, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and William Shakespeare (that was when I was in junior high school). I've read a lot of Stephen King, Dean R Koontz, and John Saul as well. And I'm not even going to get into how many science fiction/fantasy authors I've read (but I'll tell you that a few of my favorites are Piers Anthony, Robert Heinlein, Jack Chalker, and Isaac Asimov). I've read most of the Doc Savage books, quite a few of the Tarzan books, and a bunch of the Bomba, the Jungle Boy books (my grandmother had the B,tJB books and I used to read them when we went to visit her on our vacations, wonder how hard it would be to find them now, they were old back then, some 40 years ago). Hmm, gonna have to do a search on them, I think. I also had a spell where I was reading a lot of the Executioner books by Don Pendleton, and the Destroyer series, too. And I had a spell of reading the true crime books written by Ann rule. I also wish I still had all the books I bought about the Viet Nam war, most of them were written by soldiers who had been over there, and gave a totally different perspective than the one given by the media at the time.
As you can tell, my reading interests are all over the map and I don't stick to any one genre, although it does seem to be cyclical. I'll read sci-fi/fantasy for a while, then horror, then true crime (Ann Rule is really good with those), then supernatural romances, then classic literature, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment